1940s WWII Auxiliary Territorial Service 'ATS' Women's Military ring in sterling silver. Centred with an oval plaque featuring the Cap badge of the Auxillary Territorial Service, the women's branch of the British Army, decorated in terracotta, green and red enamel and flanked to either side with integrated shoulders which smooth to a solid shank. Marked sterling silver.
The ATS was active from 9th September 1938 to 1st Febuary 1949. During WWII there was up to 65,000 women in the ATS, with ages ranging from 17-50 years. Their roles were diverse including search light handlers, cooks, clerks, communications officers, drivers and ammunition inspectors.